Security forces in Ben Guerdane exchanged gunfire with several militants, who were discovered around midday in a residential home near the military barracks in Ben Guerdane, two of the militants were killed and another surrendered. This afternoon's standoff raises the last official tally of militants killed to 38, a further 8 have been captured.The above portion is therefore deemed to be either incorrect or unconfirmed hearsay as of ( March 9, 2016 at 12:39 am) The rest of the article remains factually accurate and derived from official sources or statements. The barracks had been one the initial targets of an unprecedented attack by approximately fifty militants which began at dawn on Monday March 7, simultaneously targeting security installations and personnel in Ben Guerdane near the Libyan border. Heavy fighting continued throughout the day on Monday and left nearly sixty dead, including twelve security personnel and seven civilians. The seven militants captured yesterday, according to Tunisian authorities, divulged the location weapons caches inside Ben Guerdane. Three such caches were discovered in homes yesterday as well as a truck loaded with weaponry. A fourth cache was discovered today. Yasser Mosbah, the Ministry of the Interior spokesman, had refuted earlier reports of resumed clashes when the detonation, by security forces of some of the various explosives seized from militants and the weapons caches found in the city had caused confusion. Prime Minister Essid at a press conference earlier today expressed the view, shared by President Beji Caid Essebsi who made similar statements yesterday, that the attack on Ben Guerdane which began, constituted an attempt by militants to establish "an emirate of Daech" (Islamic State) in Tunisia. Essid said authorities believe that the signal to launch the attack had come from a mosque near the military barracks. A claim which had been reported by local eyewitnesses, before being refuted by the Ministry of Religious Affairs, and then reaffirmed by Essid. Eyewitness reports indicated that the call to prayer was 'unusual' and not performed by the normal muezzin. Prime Minister Essid noted that one of the policemen "was murdered in his home", adding further credence to the numerous reports from local eyewitnesses that the militants were 'very familiar' with the city moving with ease and even targeting security personnel who were off-duty and in plain clothes.
militants had been killed in the earlier incident. There has been no official mention of any dead or wounded in the incident. A later official account from Defense Ministry spokesman Belhassen Oueslati said that sixteen suspected militants were arrested after gunshots were heard near the military barracks.